Microwaved spaghetti squash can save you so much time and effort when you’re in a rush to put dinner on the table!
All my loyal readers know how much I love my microwave ‘cause it’s quick, easy, and doesn’t heat up your kitchen during the hot summer days. Don’t be afraid of this awesome appliance. Even Robb Wolf says it’s okay. Don’t believe me? Listen to the beginning of this podcast.
Prior to going Paleo, I hated eating spaghetti squash. How the heck is this squeaky, bland vegetable supposed to be a substitute for pasta?
Now that I’m an enlightened cavegirl, I’ve had a change of heart. I’ve tried roasting it in the oven but an hour is a loooooong time to wait for cooked “pasta.”
Enter the microwave.
Time to make Microwaved Spaghetti Squash!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or your fat of choice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
Use a sharp knife to cut it in half. Try not to cut through the stem ‘cause that’s a tough mofo and you might chip your knife. Scrape out the seeds…
…brush on your favorite melted fat, and sprinkle on salt and pepper.
Place the squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe glass container…
…and cover with a lid, making sure to leave a small vent.
Microwave for a total of 8-12 minutes but break up your cooking time. I normally nuke it for 5 minutes, check on it to see if needs to be rotated, add another 3 minutes, check, add another minute, check, etc. When the squash is soft to the touch I stop cooking it.
Let the squash rest for 10 minutes and then scrape up the “noodles” with a fork.
Top with your favorite meaty sauce and enjoy!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Microwaved Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash about 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon ghee or fat of choice melted
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Tip: Try not to cut through the stem because that might chip your knife!
- With a large spoon, scrape out the seeds in the center of the squash and discard.
- Brush on the melted ghee or fat of choice on the fleshy side of the squash. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Place the squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe glass container and cover with a lid, making sure to leave a small vent.
- Microwave for a total of 8-12 minutes but break up your cooking time. I normally nuke it for 5 minutes, check on it to see if needs to be rotated, add another 3 minutes, check, add another minute, check, etc. When the squash is soft to the touch I stop cooking it.
- Once the squash is soft to the touch, let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Once the squash is finished cooler, scrape the fleshy part of the squash to create your "noodles" with a fork.