Tonight, I decided to fiddle with my carrot and parsnip puree recipe and toss in some cauliflower. Why mess with a good thing? Well, I picked up some cute baby cauliflower heads at the Mountain View Farmers’ Market…
…and I was feeling wild and crazy. I could’ve ended up with a pot of grossness but, luckily, my tinkering led to another yummy mashed potato substitute.
Time to make Cauliflower, Carrot, and Parsnip Puree!
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee, plus 1 tablespoon of butter or ghee
- ¾ lb parsnips (or about 5 medium parsnips), coarsely chopped
- 2/3 lb carrots (or about 2 large carrots), coarsely chopped (slightly smaller than parsnips)
- 1 ½ lb cauliflower florets (or about 1 small head of cauliflower), coarsely chopped
- 4 green garlic stalks, thinly sliced or 4 whole garlic cloves
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup organic chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
Basically, I followed the same steps as I did with the carrot and parsnip puree recipe. If you’re too lazy to click on the link, here are the steps again.
I melted three tablespoons of butter in a large stock pot over medium heat and chopped up my veggies…
I dumped the veggies, broth, and water into the pot and waited until it came to a boil.
I lowered the heat and simmered the covered pot for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables were mushy.
I added salt, pepper, and the last tablespoon of butter and I pureed everything with my immersion blender.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Cauliflower, Carrot, and Parsnip Puree
- 4 tablespoons ghee or fat of choice divided
- ¾ pound parsnips about 5 medium parsnips, coarsely chopped
- ⅔ pound carrots about 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1½ pound cauliflower florets about 1 small head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves or green garlic stalks thinly sliced
- ½ onion coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt three tablespoons of ghee or butter in a large stock pot over medium heat and chop up your veggies, garlic, and onion.
- Dump the veggies, broth, and water into the pot and wait until it comes to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer the covered pot for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are mushy.
- Add salt, pepper, and the last tablespoon of ghee or butter and puree everything with an immersion blender. Enjoy!