Looking for a substitute for mashed potatoes but you’re tired of eating cauliflower or winter squash puree? Make some carrot and parsnip puree!
Yesterday, my vegetable CSA box came with some ginormous Chantenay carrots and parsnips. After googling the interwebs to figure out what to make with them, I came across this recipe for carrot and parsnip puree from Miss Martha Stewart. I changed the proportions and ingredients a wee bit and the resulting orange-colored mash was delicious.
Time to make Carrot and Parsnip Puree!
- 4 tablespoons ghee, avocado oil, olive oil, or fat of choice
- 2/3 lb parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (slightly smaller than the parsnips)
- 2 stalks of green garlic, thinly sliced (or 2 garlic cloves)
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup organic chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I did my best Martin Yan impression and quickly chopped up all my veggies.
I melted 3 tablespoons of ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the fat liquefied, I dumped in the veggies, broth, and water.
I brought the liquid to a boil, turned down the heat to low, and simmered the covered pot for 25-30 minutes. Once the vegetables were soft and tender, I used my immersion blender to puree everything.
Then, I added another tablespoon of ghee along with some salt and pepper to taste.
After one last pass through with the stick blender, the puree was ready to eat.
I do miss mashed potatoes but having tasty technicolor substitutes helps with the cravings. I guess it’s like methadone for spud addicts.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Carrot and Parsnip Puree
- ⅔ pound parsnips peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound medium carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves or stalks of green garlic
- ½ onion coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons ghee or fat of choice divided
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Start by coarsely chopping up all your veggies and slicing your garlic.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the fat liquefied, dump in the veggies, broth, and water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, turn down the heat to low, and simmer the covered pot for 25-30 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are soft and tender, use your immersion blender to puree everything.
- Then, add another tablespoon of ghee along with some salt and pepper to taste. Puree everything until smooth. Enjoy!