The Double-Os are on spring break this week, and in my efforts to be a better mommy, I’ve put blogging, tweeting, and Facebooking on the back burner. That means that all my online socializing and iPad cooking app debugging occurs between 8 p.m. (when the kids go to bed) and whenever I manage to hit the sack.

In other words, please forgive my brevity, scarcity of new recipes, and rumpled clothes. Laundry has been de-prioritized in favor of this:

For breakfast, I reheated leftover Asian cauliflower fried rice with crab and bacon and munched on half of a nuked yam

I spent the rest of the morning with the boys at the dentist’s office and checking out airplanes at the Hiller Aviation Museum with my buddy, H, and her adorable daughter. For years, I’ve passed this place without a second thought, but it’s actually pretty nifty. If you’ve got kiddos in the Bay Area, you should definitely check out this spot. I’m not interested in aviation in the slightest but I found myself marveling at the displays and eagerly climbing into the cockpit of a Boeing 747. I’m not proud to admit that I might have pushed my way to the front of the line to get at the controls. Why should the four-year-olds have all the fun?

At lunchtime, I reheated some leftover braised kale and carrots with a handful of Big-O sliders and topped everything with a fried egg. Runny yolks = instant sauce.

After I filled my belly, I prepped a steak for the SousVide Supreme. I sprinkled a grass fed hanger steak with kosher salt and Penzeys Arizona Dreaming seasoning before I vacuum sealed the slab o’ meat.

Since this cut can be pretty chewy, I plan on leaving it in the water oven for at least 36 hours at 132 F.

The boys and I spent the rest of afternoon playground-hopping. Then, for supper, I sous vided fresh black cod from Siren SeaSa…

…crisped the skin…

…and sauteed baby kale and onions.  

Since the boys aren’t keen on fish, I pressure-cooked some pastured pork spare ribs that I flavored with Penzeys Adobo seasoning and kosher salt. I seared the ribs in coconut oil…

…and poured in Rao’s marinara sauce, chicken broth, and a few dashes of Red Boat Fish Sauce

I let the ribs cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. With fresh fish for me and the hubs, and meaty ribs for the kiddos, everyone was a happy camper at the dining room table.

Here’s my dinner plate:

Gute nacht!

(Yes, I’m pretending to be an omniglot. You can expect a sign-off in Uzbek next.)

About Michelle Tam

Hello! My name is Michelle Tam, and I love to eat. I think about food all the time. It borders on obsession. I’ve always loved the sights and smells of the kitchen. My mother was (and is) an excellent cook, and as a kid, I was her little shadow as she prepared supper each night. From her, I gained a deep, abiding love for magically transforming pantry items into mouth-watering family meals.

Other Recipes You May Like

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *