Everyone ready for another edition of Forky Friday? This week, I’m sharing lots of tasty morsels from across the interwebs, including how to perfect your Paleo elevator pitch, first foods for your cavebaby, a selection of sweet and savory treats, and much more!
But first, let’s climb into my souped up DeLorean and travel back in time to Wednesday, when I spent the morning with the fine folks at Cook Taste Eat.
For those of you new to the site or are suffering from a temporary bout of amnesia, I recently won the Food Blogger to Media Star Contest thanks to many of your votes. The grand prize was a guest spot cooking my Mexican Chocolate Pots de Crème recipe with Chef Michael Mina on Cook Taste Eat. On the morning of the shoot, Henry and I got the kiddos ready for school before being chauffered to the Viking Showroom in Hayward, which houses Cook Taste Eat’s set. This past week, they’ve filmed a slew of cooking segments with celebrity chefs (Todd English, Paul Qui, Mary Sue Milliken), Grammy-winning musicians (Michelle Branch, Tré Cool)…and me. Man, did I feel like a fish outta water.
Even though I was clearly an interloper, everyone was welcoming and incredibly nice. I even had my make-up and hair professionally done — which happens NEVER.
As I waited for my turn at the stove, I traded social media tips with Cook Taste Eat’s Katie…
…and goofed off with Jen from Whole Foods.
(UPDATE: Okay, people. From the comments, it appears that some of you think that I actually ate Skippy peanut butter. I didn’t. It’s a joke, see? That’s why I said I was “goofing off” instead of “ACTUALLY EATING FACTORY-PROCESSED PEANUT BUTTER THAT HAPPENS TO BE VERBOTEN FOR PALEO EATERS.”)
Before I knew it, it was time to record my segment with Chef Mina.
I resort to jazz hands when I’m nervous.
(By the way, Andrea, pictured on the right, is a kickass Paleo-friendly chef who — behind the scenes — prepped the pots de crème for the shoot. Thanks for all your help on Wednesday!)
Despite my flop sweat and tachycardia, I finished my segment relatively unscathed. And you know what? Mikey liked my dessert!
Alright, enough about me. Let’s get back to our regular programming…
- Do people ask you all the time about your crazy “Caveman Diet”? I’ve been crafting my Paleo elevator pitch, and these recent posts from Whole9 and Diane Sanfilippo have really helped me refine it.
- Got a new baby that you’re transitioning to solids? Check out this list of 5 First Foods for Paleo Babies over at Breaking Muscle. (Spoiler: What’s good for you is good for your l’il nugget.)
- My weekly CSA deliveries from Mariquita Farm resumed last week, and it’s like getting a healthy present every Thursday. My favorite items in this week’s box are Savoy cabbage and Meyer lemons. Find a CSA near you by clicking here.
- Wanna know what I’m planning to make with the cabbages? Kimchi!
- What’s on my nightstand this week? Pressure Cooker Perfection from America’s Test Kitchen! My love for pressure cooking has grown even more since I last posted about it a few weeks ago. My new Instant Pot came in the mail yesterday and I can’t wait to play around with it.
- I normally turn down free samples from companies seeking product reviews because most don’t pass muster with me. However, I recently tried two products that are yummy occasional indulgences: Nikki’s Coconut Butter and Cappello’s gluten-free and grain-free pasta.
I’d been eyeing Nikki’s Coconut Butter ever since they were featured in a giveaway at our Do It Better! event in Estes Park, Colorado last fall. And now that I’ve tried it, I can honestly say that honey pecan pie is one dangerously addictive flavor.
As many of you know, I’m a recovering pasta addict. I’m someone who used to happily shell out for multi-course pasta-only tasting menus, so believe me when I tell you that Cappello’s products are scarily similar to the semolina-laden real thing. Sadly, it’s a food without brakes for me, so I’ve resolved to eat it only once in a blue moon as a special treat — but man, is it good.
(Speaking of occassional pasta cheat meals, Russ Crandall’s recipe for Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Beef Ravioli looks phenomenal!)
That’s a wrap! Enjoy your weekend and think of me when you get up to go pee in the middle of the night, ‘cause I’ll be awake and tirelessly slinging drugs in the hospital…