I love lettuce tacos ‘cause you can fill them with whatever you have on hand. You meal can be as complicated or simple as you damn well please. Plus, you get to eat with your hands AND you don’t have to wash any utensils. I hate doing the dishes.
Don’t get caught up trying to gather the exact ingredients I used. Just fill your lettuce cup with whatever you’ve got in your fridge. I do insist that you make Fitbomb’s awesome guacamole as a topper – that’s non-negotiable.
Diane Sanfillipo, Paleo nutritionist extraordinaire over at Balanced Bites, has an excellent post on 15 drool-worthy lettuce wraps. Go take a gander and get inspired!
Time to make Surf and Turf Lettuce Tacos!
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 batch of emergency protein (I used 1 lb grass fed ground beef + Chili 9000 seasoning)
- 1 batch Tabil-seasoned sautéed shrimp
- 1 head of butter leaf lettuce, leaves separated and washed (I LOVE Live Gourmet living butter lettuce! It stays fresh for a long time and it’s pesticide-free.)
- ½ medium jicama, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 2 medium carrots, peeled with a julienne peeler
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 batch of guacamole
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I fried up the surf…
While the protein was cooking, I prepped the veggies…
When I was finished, everyone piled on their own toppings and dinner was served!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Surf and Turf Lettuce Tacos
- Fry up the Tabil seasoned shrimp along with the seasoned grass fed ground beef.
- While the beef is cooking, slice the jicama into thin matchsticks, julienne the carrots, and dice the tomatoes.
- Make the guacamole.
- Make your taco! Pile the ingredients you want onto a butter leaf lettuce and enjoy!