If nothing else, Hurricane Sandy was a sobering reminder for the NomBomb clan to finally cobble together an emergency preparedness kit. I’m not proud to admit that if it weren’t for the disaster in the Northeast, I probably would’ve never gotten off my butt. A round of applause, please.
Here’s some of what I stuck in a big, sturdy plastic bin, and why:
- Bottled water. I broke open a case from Costco, and stuck some of ‘em in our chest freezer so I’d have some ready-made, dual-purpose ice packs to keep our meat cold in the event of a power outage.
- A case of canned beef. To be honest, I have no idea what this meat tastes like, and it’s not exactly the highest-quality stuff. But hey – the only ingredients are beef and salt; in the event of a major emergency, this stuff will suffice. You can even stock up on canned bacon if you want. Still, I kinda hope I never have to break open these cans.
- Macadamia nuts – partly because they’re low Omega-6 nuts, but mostly because I don’t think I could live without them.
- Coconut flakes, coconut oil, and coconut butter. I’m cuckoo for coconut.
- Almond butter in single-serve packets. Easy, on-the-go protein is a must – especially if you find yourself on the run from zombies.
- Canned fish (sardines, tuna, and salmon). Whether they come packed in olive oil or water, these portable, shelf-stable fishes are fantastic snacks.
- Freeze-dried fruit. Super-light and easy to store.
- Canned organic sweet potato purée – just don’t forget to pack a can opener, too!
- Kale chips and SeaSnax. The world may be collapsing all around you, but face it: You’ll probably still want to munch on something crunchy.
- Ghee. We all love using ghee as a cooking fat, but did you know that you can also eat it straight-up with a spoon? Call me weird, but I enjoy its sweet, nutty flavor.
- Dark chocolate. Duh.
- Assorted jerky (beef, tuna, and chicken) and PaleoKits. Henry makes a mean jerky with a deli slicer and a food dehydrator, but when it comes to prepping for a Worst Case Scenario, we’re turning to the pros.
- How To Survive A Natural Disaster at Mark’s Daily Apple
- The Official Whole9 Zombie Preparedness Guide at Whole9
- Provisions I Stock in My Hurricane Cabinet at The Healthy Home Economist
- Paleo Emergency Preparedness at Nell Stephenson’s site
- 22 Emergency Foods to Stock Up at Primal Toad
What? You need even more of an incentive? How about a discount code for purchases from Steve’s Original? Just use the coupon code nomnomgiveaway between now and November 14, 2012 for a 10% discount off your online purchase!
Yes – you read that correctly – I said “giveaway.” For you lazy sons o’ guns who don’t want to bother shopping in preparation for the apocalypse, you can enter for a chance to win a cool batch of shelf-stable goodies from Steve’s Original.
Y’all know about Steve’s Original, right? Not only does the company make some of the yummiest jerky and Paleo snacks known to humankind, it also funds Steve’s Club – a not-for-profit organization that supports inner city youth through exercise and nutrition.
And if that doesn’t convince you, let me just say this: PALEOKRUNCH.
Seriously, I love this stuff and I know you will (or already do), too!
So – what’s up for grabs?
One of my lucky readers will win a Steve’s Club Sampler which includes:
- 1 Grassfed Small PaleoKit
- 1 Coconut Small PaleoKit
- 1 GF PaleoStix
- 1 GF Just Jerky
- 1 GF PaleoStix with Spinach
- 1 PaleoKrunch bar
- 1 PaleoKrunch Cereal Cinnamon
- 1 Ginger Cilantro Dressing PaleoChef
- 1 Maple Mustard Dressing PaleoChef
- 1 Tomato Balsamic Dressing PaleoChef
- 1 Mixed Berry PaleoChef
- 1 Peach BBQ PaleoChef
- 1 Dried Blueberries
- 1 Dried Strawberries
Here’s how to enter for a chance to win this prize package:
- Sign up for the Steve’s Original newsletter at the bottom of the company’s homepage;
- Like the Nom Nom Paleo Facebook fan page; and
- Leave just ONE comment at the end of this blog post letting me know you followed the directions by Tuesday, November 13, 2012, at 9pm PST.
(Sadly, Tumblr – which hosts my site – restricts this contest to U.S. residents over the age of 18. Apologies to my super-awesome international readers!)
And don’t be selfish – hit “Share This” below and tell your friends to get in on this giveaway. Sharing is caring, right?
Remember – everyone wins because you can save 10% on all of Steve’s goodies by using the coupon code: nomnomgiveaway between now and November 14, 2012. So stock up your emergency kit NOW!
Leave a Reply