Today’s edition of Forky Friday is packed with bite-sized morsels, including good stuff about strength training, tips for shift work zombies, a feature on why red meat’s marvelous, a bunch of cool recipes, and a rundown of some new Paleo cookbooks!
Behold: A collection of my favorite goodies from the wide world of the interwebs this week!
- One of the biggest personal changes I’ve made — other than abandoning my life of gluten-y gluttony — is learning to lift heavy things. I’m no Aimee Everett, but I’m proud to say I can easily out-lift Gwyneth Paltrow these days. It’s made a world of difference in my physical well-being. If you need more convincing, look no further than Staci Ardison’s Strength Training 101 at Nerd Fitness. Ready to run to a gym? Read her primer on equipment before you start throwing heavy metal objects around.
- Amy Kubal, my favorite sassy nutritionist, wrote a great post about how to schedule your life around shift work and still stay sane. Since I’ve worked as a zombie drug dealer for well over a decade (yeah, I’m old as dirt), I’ve got my routine down to a science. But it took me YEARS to figure out what you can learn from Amy’s article in just 5 minutes. I do have some pro tips to add, though: Don these amber goggles before bedtime, and put on this eyemask before you conk out. Trust me: You’ll look awesome (and sleep better, too).
- Chris Kresser tells us why red meat is the King of Protein in this insightful article. Yay! A well-written piece that you can email to all your naysaying Meatless Monday pals!
Looking for new recipes? Here are four tantalizing dishes that I can’t wait to try:
- Joshua Weissman — the 17-year-old dynamo behind Slim Palate — has a delicious Slow Cooked Corned Beef Brisket and Roasted Cabbage that you can make for St. Patrick’s Day. Wanna learn more about Joshua? Read this inspiring profile on theKitchn. It makes me want to adopt him. (But I won’t because I’m not mentally equipped to handle raising a teenager just yet.)
- The ever-funny & fierce Juli Bauer shows you how to make Boneless Pork Short Rib Tacos. For BREAKFAST, no less.
- Two words: Bacon Jam. Did you hear me? BACON. JAM.
- My super-sistah Melissa Joulwan has finally posted her famous Bora Bora Fireballs recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks of all time, Well Fed. I’m so so SO excited that Mel and Dave are cranking on Well Fed 2 — it’ll be bananas when it comes out later this year. Can’t wait that long? Melissa’s also the co-author of Living Paleo for Dummies, a no-nonsense primer that covers EVERYTHING from recipes, eating out, and exercise. And that’s not all. You’ll also find:
Digestible science tidbits from Dr. Kellyann!
Mel’s kickass recipes!
And a fitness section featuring Jen Sinkler!
Speaking of cookbooks, there’s an incredible number of Paleo-friendly tomes — both in the pipeline and recently released — that I can’t wait to pick up:
Whew! I’m gonna have to make more room on my bookshelf, or maybe construct a new one. Tell me: Which books are you most looking forward to checking out? Am I missing one?