In an effort to expand my list of go-to entrees, I remade and modified my braised chicken thighs/drumsticks with artichokes and pearl onions recipe.
There are two ways I roll when making dinner: I lazily choose an entrée that is in my regular rotation (e.g. Damn Fine Chicken) or I pick a new dish to try. That means there are lots of dishes I only make once, even though many of them would make my greatest hits list if I’d just repeat and tweak.
The main alteration I made in the recipe was pre-seasoning the chicken with Sunny Paris, salt, and pepper and letting it chill in the fridge for several hours before baking it off. This simple, extra step makes this dish another winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Please note you can adapt this recipe to fit whatever is in your crisper: change the veggies (e.g. mushrooms & onions, carrots & leeks etc.) and/or toss on some fresh herbs at the end.
Time to make Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Pearl Onions!
Serves 4 -6
- 3 pounds of organic chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 2 tablespoons of Sunny Paris seasoning
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee, coconut oil, palm oil, lard, avocado oil (I used ghee)
- 12 oz bag of Trader Joe’s frozen artichoke hearts
- 16 oz bag of Trader Joe’s frozen peeled & ready to use pearl onions
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup organic chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or your favorite vinegar)
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
In the morning, I dumped the chicken in a bowl and tossed it with Sunny Paris seasoning, two large pinches of salt, and a few cranks of black pepper.
I placed the bowl in the fridge for 8 hours (marinate for a minimum of 1 hour).
When I was ready to cook the chicken, I preheated the oven to 325 F and I melted the ghee over medium-high heat in a large 12–inch oven-safe skillet fitted with a lid.
I fried the drumsticks in two batches until they were browned all over.
Don’t overcrowd them or the chicken will NEVER brown properly.
I removed the chicken to a plate…
…and threw in the frozen onions, artichokes, and garlic.
Once the veggies had some color, I poured in the broth, tucked the chicken back into the skillet…
…and sprinkled on the vinegar.
I brought the sauce to a boil, put on the lid, and popped the skillet in the oven for 45 minutes.
When the chicken was finished cooking…
…I tasted for seasoning and plated it up.
This entrée has definitely made it off the B team!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Pearl Onions
- 3 pound organic chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 2 tablespoon Sunny Paris seasoning
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon ghee or fat of choice
- 12 oz frozen bag of artichoke hearts I use Trader Joe's
- 16 oz frozen bag of pearl onions I use Trader Joe's
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled
- 3/4 cup organic chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In the morning, season your chicken by dumping the chicken in a bowl and tossing it with Sunny Paris seasoning, two large pinches of salt, and a few cranks of black pepper.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for up to 8 hours (marinate for a minimum of 1 hour).
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 325° F and melt the ghee over medium-high heat in a large 12–inch oven-safe skillet fitted with a lid.
- Fry the drumsticks in the pan in two batches (don't overcrowd them) until they are browned all over.
- Remove the cooked chicken and place on a plate.
- Throw in the frozen onions, frozen artichokes, and garlic into the pan to fry.
- Once the veggies have a bit of color, pour in the broth and tuck the chicken into the pan and sprinkle on the vinegar.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Once the sauce is boiling, put the lid on the pan and place it in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and serve!