When I woke up this morning, I didn’t know what the hell I was going to eat for breakfast. I had no leftover protein in the fridge and I didn’t have time to fry an egg.

Then, I remembered that we have scads of sardine tins in our pantry so I cracked one open and ate it with a handful of macadamia nuts and roasted red bell peppers.

After taking Big-O to school, I packed my post workout meal and went to my class at CrossFit Palo Alto.

Man, it was a tough WOD but I guess I’m turning into one tough mutha because I was able to finish it.

When I returned home, I prepared a batch of seasoned ground beef with minced baby leeks, garlic, leftover stir-fried kale and bacon, and Arizona Dreaming seasoning.

Yes, there’s some asparagus in there. I had one leftover broiled stalk that I cut up and threw in as well. I feel like my mother when I save scraps like that. This batch of beef is “emergency protein” that I’ll just nuke when I’m hungry or add to frittatas, scrambles, or omelets.

Since I finished the last baked yam in the fridge, I roasted a new batch in the toaster oven for future post workout meals.

I won’t be eating the skin, so I didn’t grease them up before baking them.

At lunchtime, I picked up Big-O at school and we all enjoyed a lunch out at the Counter. As usual, I ordered a burger in a bowl but this time I ordered it with their monthly special, a Greek lamb burger.

It was really tasty. How is it possible that lamb is the least popular meat in America? That’s loco, dude.

In the afternoon, I accompanied my mother-in-law to a doctor’s appointment and by the time we came home, I had to get Big-O ready for his T-ball practice at 5:30 p.m. After practice, it was close to 7:00 p.m. so I had no time to make anything fancy for dinner.

I broke into the container of “emergency protein” and served it with some broiled asparagus (from the toaster oven) and leftover veggies (winter squash puree, roasted red bell peppers, and roasted turnips).

After dinner, I finally did some meal prep for the coming week. I seasoned a grass fed flank steak…

…and two racks of lamb with salt and pepper…

…and vacuum-sealed them.

I preheated the SousVide Supreme to 130 F and dropped in the flank steak (it will cook for ~20 hours) and stuck the lamb racks in the fridge. I’ll place the lamb racks in the water oven (along with the flank steak) late tomorrow morning and take all the protein out at dinnertime. I’m not sure which I’ll serve tomorrow but either one can be dunked in an ice bath and stored for later consumption.

I start another week of nightshifts tomorrow night. Ugh.  The good news is I’ll have three weeks off when I finish my workweek! Yippee!

About Michelle Tam

Hello! My name is Michelle Tam, and I love to eat. I think about food all the time. It borders on obsession. I’ve always loved the sights and smells of the kitchen. My mother was (and is) an excellent cook, and as a kid, I was her little shadow as she prepared supper each night. From her, I gained a deep, abiding love for magically transforming pantry items into mouth-watering family meals.

Other Recipes You May Like

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *