I didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel with this recipe. I simply modified the one I had for Super Porktastic meatloaf, substituting grass fed ground beef for the pork and I formed the meat and veggie mixture into mini burgers. My kids love ‘em ‘cause they can eat them with their hands and they taste terrific dipped in marinara sauce. (Rao’s is my favorite jarred brand.) Even if you can’t finish them all, they make perfect on-the-go veggie+meat snacks.
Here’s what I assembled to make 30 mini sliders:
- 1 pound frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (from 1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 pound Cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup small-dice celery (from about 2 medium stalks)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- coconut oil
- Tomato sauce, warmed, for serving (optional)
- Fleur de sel
Here’s how I made them:
First, I dumped a packet of frozen spinach into a Corningware container…
…covered it with a lid, and nuked it on high for ~4 minutes to defrost it. Then, I dumped the spinach into a colander and pressed out all the liquid.
I heated the butter (or coconut oil) over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet and tossed in the chopped onions and mushrooms along with some salt and pepper to taste.
The veggies were sautéed until the liquid had evaporated and the onions were softened.
Next, the coconut milk, parsley, and celery said hello to my hand blender.
Once a puree was formed, I poured it over the ground beef in a large bowl, and then added the chopped spinach, coconut flour, garlic, measured salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
Afterwards, I added the beaten eggs and cooked ‘shrooms.
I used my hands to gently combine all the ingredients…
…and formed the meat mixture into small patties (about 2 inches in diameter).
I heated 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and fried the sliders in three batches.
I cooked the sliders for 3 minutes on each side, so each batch took about 6-7 minutes to finish.
I reheated a bowl of marinara sauce in the microwave and I sprinkled some fleur de sel on the mini burgers before we dug in.
Yummy and easy!