What little monster doesn’t like downing a couple of bloody eyeballs now and then? Especially if they’re sweet and juicy?
Here’s a quick and easy Halloween treat you can assemble with just a handful of ingredients: longans, blueberries, and frozen mixed berries.
Time to make Bloody Eyeballs!
- 2 pounds of fresh longan fruit
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1/2 bag of Trader Joe’s Very Cherry Frozen Berry Blend
…and enlisted the help of the Double-O’s to help peel them.
If you start at the stem end, the rest of the skin is pretty easy to remove.
The peeled longans already look like eyeballs – hence the name, which literally translates to “dragon eye” in Chinese.
The large seeds in the center are inedible so I removed and replaced ‘em with blueberries.
Yes, you can find canned and de-seeded longans at an Asian market, but they’re steeped in heavy syrup and who knows what else. I’m not gonna lie – removing seeds from fresh longans is kind of a pain in the keister because the flesh clings to the fruit — but it’s worth it.
After the longans were halved and deseeded, I placed a blueberry in the center of each bisected piece of fruit.
Once the eyeballs were assembled…
…I blitzed half a bag of Trader Joe’s Very Cherry frozen berry blend.
I plated the “bloody” berry puree on a plate, dotted it with “eyeballs,” and added extra “blood” to each “sclera.”
Lil-O found them almost too creepy to eat.
Sweet yet revolting – kind of like me!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Bloody Eyeballs (Blueberry Stuffed Longans in Berry Sauce)
- 2 pound longan fruit
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/2 pound frozen mixed berries I like to use Trader Joe's Very Cherrryr Frozen Berry Blend
- Remove the skin from the longans. If you start at the stem end, the rest of the skin is pretty easy to remove.
- The large seeds in the center are inedible, so remove them by halving them and deseeding them.
- Place a blueberry in the center of each bisected piece of fruit.
- Blitz half a bag of a frozen mixed berry blend.
- Plate the "bloody" berry puree on a plate and top if with your longan-blueberry eyeballs.