Sous vide is the BEST way to cook super-big, bone-in rib eye steaks. You end up with perfectly cooked beef and no risk of wasting your hard-earned moola. These steaks are expensive, yo! Plus, you can cook these steaks ahead of time and keep them in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to sear them off. If you’re a visual learner, watch this video.
Time to make Sous Vide Gigantic Grass Fed Cowboy Chops!
- 2 grass fed, bone-in rib eye steaks (approximately 2 pounds each)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Tabil seasoning (or insert your favorite dry rub)
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I followed the same steps as when I sous vide normal-sized rib eye steaks but since these puppies are so ginormous, I couldn’t resist taking some pictures.
I seasoned the chops LIBERALLY with salt, pepper,and Tabil seasoning…
…and vaccuum sealed them. I stored them in the fridge for at least an hour (up to 24 hours) so the salt could do its magic…
…before I dunked the packets in the SousVide Supreme set at 130 F for medium rare.
I let the steaks cook for 8 hours and then transferred them to an ice bath for an hour before storing them in the fridge. If you’re eating the steaks immediately, you can skip the chilling and go straight to the searing.
When I was ready to serve the steaks, I reheated them in the SousVide Supreme (set at 130 F) for about 45 minutes. I took the chops out of the water oven, dried them off…
…sprinkled on additional seasoning/salt, and seared them in a couple tablespoons of ghee over high heat in a cast iron skillet (2 minutes per side). Alternatively, you can throw the steaks on a hot grill to char them.
I took out my kitchen torch to char the sides of the steak and even out the browning.
Don’t these Flinstone-sized chops look tasty?
See? They’re perfectly pink…
from edge to edge!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013) and Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017)!
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Sous Vide Gigantic Grass Fed Cowboy Chops (Bone-In Rib Eye)
- Season the meat liberally with salt, pepper, and your dry rub of choice.
- Vacuum seal the chops and store them in the fridge for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- Take the meat out of the fridge when you're ready to cook. Put the vacuum sealed meat into the SousVide Supreme at 130° F for medium rare. Let the steaks cook for 8 hours and then transfer to an ice bath stored in the fridge for at least an hour. (If you're going to be eating the steaks immediately, skip the chilling and go straight to searing.)
- When you're ready to serve the steaks, reheat your SousVide Supreme (set at 130° F) and reheat the steaks for about 45 minutes. Take the steaks out of the seal and dry them off.
- Sprinkle on additional seasoning and salt and sear with a couple tablespoons of ghee over high heat in a cast iron skillet. About 2 minutes each side. Alternatively, you can throw the steaks on a hot grill to char them.
- Now you're ready to eat perfectly cooked cowboy chops!