The hardest part of this recipe is making the homemade mayonnaise. If you already have some on hand, you can have this dish on your table in 5 minutes!
WHAT KIND OF CRAB SHOULD YOU USE?
Obviously, the best choice is to use fresh cooked crab meat that you make yourself or buy from a trusted fishmonger. The second best choice is the canned crab jumbo lump meat that is found in the refrigerated section in the seafood department. Don’t use shelf-stable canned crab meat because the texture is dry and mealy and the flavor is off.
If you can’t find high-quality crab, use cooked salmon instead!
Time to make Simple Crab Salad!
- 1 pound canned lump crab meat (I get mine at Trader Joe’s or Costco)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons Paleo mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
Here’s how I made it:
I assembled my ingredients and chopped my herbs.
Then, I cracked open the can ‘o crab and squeezed out the extra liquid.
I dumped the crab in a medium sized bowl…
…and mixed in the scallions, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Next, I added the mayonnaise and the lemon juice.
Taste it to see if you need more mayo, lemon juice, salt, or pepper.
Serve it over greens and top with avocado or guacamole. Or, if you want to throw together a quick appetizer, mix the crab salad with some finely-diced red bell pepper and spoon it in some endive spears.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Simple Crab Recipe
- Assemble your ingredients and chop your herbs. Crack open the can ‘o crab and squeeze out the extra liquid.
- Dump the crab in a medium sized bowl and mix in the scallions, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Next, add the mayonnaise and the lemon juice together in a separate bowl. Once mixed, add the mayonnaise mix to the bowl with the crab. Taste it to see if you need more mayo, lemon juice, salt, or pepper.
- Serve it over greens and top with avocado or guacamole. Or, if you want to throw together a quick appetizer, mix the crab salad with some finely-diced red bell pepper and spoon it in some endive spears.