My Sautéed Shrimp with Onions and Cherry Tomatoes is a super quick and tasty recipe!
This dish can be made in about 10-15 minutes and that INCLUDES defrosting the shrimp! Frozen wild shrimp is always in my freezer and it should be in yours, too!
Follow the jump to see how to make it!
Time to make Sautéed Shrimp with Onions and Cherry Tomatoes!
- 1 lb of large frozen shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 1 tablespoon of Aloha Spice Volcano Grind Seasoning (or your favorite spice blend)
- 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite fat (I used ghee)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes, washed
- 1 lime
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I dumped the bag of frozen shrimp in a colander and ran cold water over them for around 5 minutes or until defrosted.
I dried off the shrimp with a paper towel, placed them in a bowl, and seasoned them with Volcano Grind seasoning.
In a large cast iron skillet, I melted 1 tablespoon of ghee over medium heat. I added the sliced onions, salt, and pepper, and sauteed until they were soft, caramelized, and translucent.
Then, I threw in the cherry tomatoes and tossed them in the melted fat until they were warm. Don’t cook the tomatoes until they explode!
I removed the onions and tomatoes from the pan…
…added another tablespoon of ghee to the pan, and increased the temperature to medium high.
I sautéed the shrimp in two batches for about a minute on each side.
When the shrimp were finished cooking…
…I topped them with the sautéed tomatoes, onions, and freshly squeezed lime juice.
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Sautéed Shrimp with Onions and Cherry Tomatoes
- Dump the bag of frozen shrimp in a colander and run cold water over them for 5 minutes or until defrosted.
- Dry off the defrosted shrimp with a paper towel and place them in a bowl. Season with Volcano Grind seasoning or your favorite seasoning.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of ghee over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions, salt, and pepper and sauté until the onions are soft, caramelized, and translucent.
- Throw in the cherry tomatoes into the pan with the sautéed onions and toss them until they are warm. Don't over cook the tomatoes until they explode!
- Remove the onions and tomatoes from the pan and place in a bowl.
- Add another tablespoon of ghee into the pan and increase the temperature to medium high.
- Toss in the shrimp and sauté for about one minute each side.
- When the shrimp are finished cooking, remove and place on a plate. Top them with the sautéed tomatoes and onions and top with a fresh squeeze of lime juice.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.