Garbage Stir-Fry With Curried Cabbage
One of my favorite weeknight, budget-friendly, and versatile dishes is a fragrant and zesty Garbage Stir-Fry with ground meat, curry, and cabbage!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon ghee or fat of choice
- 1 small onion diced
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 pound ground beef pork, lamb, bison, turkey, or whatever meat suits your fancy
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound green cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the ghee when the pan is hot.
Add the onions and a sprinkle of salt. Cook the onions, stirring frequently until they’re soft and translucent.
Plop in the ground meat and break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
Cook the ground meat, stirring frequently, until it is no longer pink.
Sprinkle the curry powder on the beef and onions and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well to incorporate the seasoning.
Toss in the cabbage, and cover and cook for 2 to 5 minutes or until the cabbage softens to your desired consistency.
Add a spritz of lime juice, and taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Top with the minced cilantro and scallions.
- Remember: this is just one example of how you can throw together a Garbage Stir-Fry. You could easily substitute your favorite seasoning blend for the curry, or a couple of cups of fresh or frozen vegetables for the cabbage. Don’t be afraid to improvise. Just sample the food as you cook, and stop seasoning when it tastes right.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to four days or up to four months in the freezer!
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 27g | Fiber: 3g