Umami Roast Chicken is a super simple and delicious Whole30 dish that uses my Magic Mushroom Powder. It's a fool-proof weeknight chicken supper!
Servings: 6 servings
- ⅔ cup plain coconut yogurt or use ½ cup full fat coconut milk + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2½ teaspoons Magic Mushroom Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Boat fish sauce
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
In a large bowl, combine the coconut yogurt, Magic Mushroom Powder, fish sauce, and garlic. Mix it all together.
Toss in the chicken thighs and mix until well coated. Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to a day.
When you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat the oven to 400°F convection or 425°F conventional with the rack in the middle position. Shake off the excess marinade and arrange the chicken, skin-side down, on a stainless steel wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, rotating the tray and flipping the thighs skin-side up at the halfway point.
The thighs are done when the skin is browned and the internal temperature of the chicken in the thickest part is at least 165°F.
- Note about the plain coconut yogurt: Some of the brands I like include Anita’s Coconut Yogurt, Living Cultures Super Food, and Coyo. No coconut yogurt? No prob! Just use full fat coconut milk + lemon juice!
- If you use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, decrease the total cooking time to 30 minutes or cook until the final internal cooking temperature is 165°F.
- If you're using chicken breasts, make sure you don't over cook them! Cook until the final cooking temperature is 150°F and not too much higher!
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 38g | Fiber: 1g