Slow Cooker Grass Fed Beef Shanks & Cabbage Stew
I'm always looking for shortcuts to deliciousness. Here's a perfect example of just that! With some beef shanks, cabbage, and aromatics, you've got yourself a tasty meal to make at night and wake up to in the morning.
- ½ pound baby carrots
- 2 medium onions roughly chopped
- 1 small cabbage about 2 pounds, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 7 garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 2 center-cut grass fed beef shanks about 2-inches thick
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can of organic diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
Dump the baby carrots and onions into the bottom of your slow cooker and layer the cabbage wedges on top. Throw on top the smashed garlic cloves and bay leaves.
Season the beef shanks with salt and pepper. Feel free to be pretty heavy-handed! Then, plop them on top of the cabbage.
Pour the drained diced tomatoes and chicken broth into the slow cooker. Put the lid and program the slow cooker to low. Let everything cook for about 9 hours.
When it's done, the meat should have pulled away from the bone and the marrow is. perfectly cooked. Remove and plate the bones (and delicious marrow), shred the meat, and taste the stew for seasoning. Add some coconut aminos if you think the stew is too sweet. Enjoy!
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 7g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g