Sautéed Spinach with Bacon, Shallots, and Mushrooms
A great and easy side dish that uses one of my favorite ingredients: bacon!
- 3 bacon slices baked and crumbled
- Bacon grease reserved from baking the bacon slices
- 2 large shallots thinly sliced
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons Banyuls vinegar or aged balsamic vinegar
Bake off your bacon in the oven and reserve the bacon grease for this recipe.
Heat the bacon grease in your cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is. hot, sauté the sliced. shallots with some salt and pepper until they are translucent and softened.
Add the mushrooms into the pan and cook until they've developed some brown bits and the liquid has evaporated.
Toss in the spinach in batches. Adding more spinach as the previous batch wilts. Once all the spinach has been added, season the dish with vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
Once the spinach is cooked, put it on a plate and sprinkle the bacon bits on top. Enjoy!
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g