Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
The chicken cacciatore recipe is pretty simple and the results are yummy. The only Paleo substitution I made was to omit the tapioca so the resulting sauce is a little thin. This dish reheats beautifully as well!
- 2 onions minced in your food processor
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ghee or fat of choice
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ ounce dried mixed wild mushrooms rinsed and minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ pounds cremini mushrooms trimmed and halved
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes drained
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
Dump the onions, tomato paste, butter (you can use another fat if you don’t do dairy), garlic, oregano, wild mushrooms, and red pepper flakes in a microwave safe bowl. Nuke everything on high for ~5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
Put the cooked onion aromatic mixture in the slow cooker and stir in the cremini mushrooms, tomatoes, broth, and wine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and nestle them into the slow cooker and mix everything.
Put on the lid and cook the dish for 4-6 hours on low.
When the dish is finished, transfer everything to a Corningware container and serve, or store it in the fridge.
When you're ready to reheat the chicken cacciatore, remove all the hardened fat on top, and dump the contents in a medium sized pot. Reheat it over medium-high heat until it reaches a boil and then lower the heat to simmer the stew for around 10-15 minutes. Before you serve it, top the dish with some basil chiffonade.
Some tips for cooking chicken in a slow cooker:
- Cook chicken ONLY 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Choose meaty thighs for flavor.
- Trim the fat and remove skin so your braising liquid doesn’t become an oil slick.
- Position a whole chicken breast side down (and cook a whole chicken on LOW for ONLY 4-6 hours).
- Brown only when necessary for flavor.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 15g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g