Emergency Protein (A.K.A. Garbage Stir Fry)
The whole idea behind emergency protein is that I want to cook some protein and veggies really quickly so it gets in my rumbling belly FAST. Plus, I want to make sure I make a big batch so I have leftovers! This “recipe” makes use of whatever protein and wilting veggies are in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 pound quick cooking veggies pre-washed baby spinach, leftover sautéed chard, frozen broccoli, shredded carrots, broccoli slaw, etc.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or fat of choice
- ½ cup finely chopped onions, green onions, or shallots
- 1 pound ground beef or any ground or thinly sliced meat
- 2 tablespoons seasoning or coconut aminos
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Chop up your veggies. Melt 2 tablespoons of ghee over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet. Toss in the chopped onions and stir fry until tender.
Add in your veggies. Start with the veggie that needs the longest to cook (e.g., carrots) along with some salt and pepper to taste.
Toss in your meat along with your seasoning and additional salt and pepper.
When your meat is cooked, toss in the pre-washed spinach leaves (if you're including those), and turn off the heat when the spinach is wilted. Serve!
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 31g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g