Instant Pot Chinese Beef Stew
Instant Pot Chinese Beef Stew is an easy and flavor-packed Whole30-friendly stew that combines tender beef chuck roast, All-Purpose Stir-Fry Sauce, and tender daikon and carrots.
Servings: 8 people
- ½ cup All-Purpose Stir-Fry Sauce
- 3½ pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or cooking fat of choice
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 5 medium garlic cloves minced
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms rinsed
- 1 pound daikon radish peeled and cut into 1½ inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
Shake up a jar of my All-Purpose Stir-Fry Sauce if you don’t already have one in the fridge. Pour out ½ a cup of it and set it aside.
Toss the beef cubes with the Diamond Crystal kosher salt.
Turn on the saute function on your Instant Pot. When the metal insert is hot, add the avocado oil and the sliced onions. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are slightly softened.
Stir in the minced garlic cloves and salted beef cubes.
Plop in the dried shiitake mushrooms (no need to rehydrate them) and stir in the All-Purpose Stir-Fry Sauce.
Lock the Instant Pot lid and program it to cook under high pressure for 35 minutes.
When the stew is finished cooking, wait for the pressure to release naturally. Impatient? After 15 minutes has elapsed, release the pressure manually.
If you are eating the stew right away, add the daikon and carrots and program it to cook for 3 minutes under high pressure. When it finishes cooking, release the pressure manually.
Check that the root vegetables are fork tender and taste the stew to check the seasoning. Transfer the stew to a serving bowl and top with sliced scallions. Enjoy!
Calories: 417kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 25g | Fiber: 2g