Madras Chicken Salad
Whipping up some chicken salad? Don’t you dare make a bland-tasting version tossed with plain old mayonnaise. Instead, punch it up with smoky, aromatic curry powder, crisp apples, fresh herbs, and toasted almonds. With just a few pantry items, you can radically transform a ho-hum dish into an elegant and flavorful meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- ½ cup Paleo Mayonnaise if you don’t feel like making it, buy Primal Kitchen Mayo
- ¾ teaspoon Indian curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small Gala Fuji, or Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch dice
- Juice from ½ medium lime
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast or thighs
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 scallions trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup almond slivers toasted
First, make the curried mayonnaise. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Yes, folks—whenever possible, it’s important to taste your food so you can adjust the seasoning as needed.
In a separate bowl, toss the apple chunks with the lime juice. This will ensure that your apples won’t oxidize into brown, splotchy cubes—and the acid adds a nice zing to the salad, too.
Shred the chicken by hand, and toss it into the bowl with the acidulated apples. Add the cilantro, scallions, and curried mayonnaise, and mix well.
Top with toasted almond slivers and serve. The salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 444kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 28g | Fiber: 2g