Instant Pot Cowboy Chili
Instant Pot Cowboy Chili is a hearty and healthy Whole30-friendly beef chili recipe that’s packed with cubes of tender chuck roast in a smoky sauce!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- For the chili:
- 4 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt use 1 teaspoon if Morton’s brand
- 4 slices bacon cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate shaved
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- Juice from ½ small lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the garnish:
- ½ medium white onion cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ cup julienned radish
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- plain full-fat coconut yogurt optional
In a large bowl, toss the cubed beef with the salt and set aside.
Turn on the sauté function on your Instant Pot, and when the metal insert is hot, toss in the sliced bacon. Stir the bacon occasionally to ensure even browning. Once the bacon bits are crunchy, transfer them to a paper-towel lined platter with a slotted spoon.
Dump in the onion and tomato paste and sauté until the onions are softened, about 2-3 minutes.
In the meantime, combine the ancho chile powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and the broth in a small bowl or measuring cup. Mix until smooth and then stir in the chocolate shavings.
When the onions are softened, stir in the garlic and chili-chocolate mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add the salted beef, cooked bacon, and lime juice. Stir well to combine.
Cancel the sauté function. Lock the lid and program your Instant Pot to cook under high pressure for 35 minutes.
When the chili is finished cooking, let the pressure drop naturally. If you’re impatient, wait 15 minutes after the chili is finished cooking before you manually release the pressure.
Taste the stew and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Top the chili with your favorite garnishes, such as white onions and cilantro, radishes, coconut yogurt, and/or lime juice.
Calories: 520kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 34g | Fiber: 3g