My Ginger-Scallion Chicken recipe is a simple, Whole30-friendly roasted chicken breast recipe that will knock your socks off! This recipe is a revamped weeknight version of my Cantonese grandma's famous poached whole chicken with ginger-scallion dipping sauce!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 servings
- ¼ cup softened duck fat ghee, avocado oil, or fat of choice
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions about 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger use a microplane for best results!
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 4 chicken breasts bone-in, skin-on (10-12 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon melted duck fat ghee, or fat of choice
Preheat the oven to 450°F with the rack in the middle position. In a small bowl, add the fat, scallions, ginger, and 2 teaspoons of Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt (use half the amount if you are using a fine grain salt or Morton's kosher salt). Mix well.
Using your fingers, carefully separate the skin of each chicken breast away from the meat to form a pocket. Add 1 tablespoon of the “pesto” under the skin of each breast.
Carefully press and massage the skin to evenly distribute the pesto. At this point you can proceed with cooking the chicken, or refrigerate it for up to a day and roast it later.
Put the chicken skin-side up on a wire rack atop a foil-lined baking sheet. You can leave it unlined if you don’t mind using extra elbow grease when you clean up later.
Brush the melted fat on the chicken breasts, and season with more salt.
Oven-roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 150°F.
Rest the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, debone the breasts, slice, and serve!
- This tastes great with chicken thighs, too!
- You can marinate about 1 day in advance. If you go any longer, the raw ginger can make the texture of the chicken kinda mushy.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 22g | Fiber: 1g