I love making frittatas because they’re so easy, tasty, and versatile However, even this frittata lover can get tired of them – even with different fillings.
Luckily, I came across a new variation in Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals – soufflé frittatas!
All you do is separate the whites from the yolks, beat them separately, and then fold in the yolks and your favorite filling. You end up with a really fluffy, cloud-like frittata – like a soufflé! Granted, it’s much easier making a regular frittata but these are darn good and worth the extra five to ten minutes of work.
Time to make Soufflé Frittatas!
- 3 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter, melted but cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter (for the pan)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite frittata filling (I used leftover stir-fried collards and pancetta)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I preheated my toaster oven to broil and beat the egg whites in a bowl with a nice pinch of salt until stiff peaks formed.
Beating them with a whisk gives me sore forearms so I’m gonna get myself a cheapo hand mixer.
In a smaller bowl, I beat the egg yolks and the melted butter together.
Then, I poured the egg yolks and filling into the bowl holding the whipped whites.
I cracked on some black pepper and used a rubber spatula to gently fold in the ingredients until it was all incorporated.
Don’t over mix!
I melted a tablespoon of butter in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat and added the frittata mixture. I cooked it on the stove for 2 minutes and then I transferred it to the toaster oven.
After about 10 minutes, the soufflé frittata was fluffy and browned on top.
Geez, this recipe is a keeper!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013) and Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017)!
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
- 3 eggs separated into whites and yolks
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter melted but cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter to use to fry
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your toaster oven to broil. Separate your eggs and beat the egg whites in a bowl with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg yolks and the melted ghee or butter together with a fork.
- Pour the egg yolks and your choice of filling (I typically use some type of green and some type of protein) into the bowl holding the whipped egg whites.
- Crack some black pepper on top and fold the ingredients gently with a rubber spatula until everything looks incorporated. Don't over mix!
- Melt a tablespoon of ghee or butter in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the frittata egg mixture. Cook it on the stove for 2 minutes then transfer it to the toaster oven.
- Cook the frittata in the toaster oven for an additional 10 minutes. When done, the soufflé frittata should look fluffy and browned on top!