The finished dish is an awesome bowl of purple comfort food – tender, sweet, tart, and savory. It goes well with any protein so it’s a wonderful cabbage side dish to have in your repertoire.
Here’s what I gathered to feed 4-6 adults:
- 1 red cabbage (green works great as well), outer wilted leaves and core removed, and sliced very thin
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of duck fat (bacon grease would be delicious as well)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
Here’s how I made it:
The first thing I did was gather and chop up the ingredients.
I scooped out the duck fat…
…and melted it over medium heat in a large cast iron skillet.
Once the duck fat was melted, I sautéed the onions for about 5 minutes.
Next, I added the cabbage, vinegar, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and water.
I brought it up to a boil, put on a lid, lowered the heat, and simmered the cabbage for 20 minutes.
I peeled and grated a Fuji apple and added it to the cabbage mixture.
I mixed it in, put on the lid, and let it cook for 5 more minutes. I tasted the cabbage and adjusted for seasoning.
I love the combination of cabbage, apples, and sherry vinegar!13