Hello bacon, my old friend, I’ve come to eat you once again…
(Go ahead: Sing along with me to the tune of Simon and Garfunkel’s The Sound of Silence. You know you want to.)
Now that I’m done with the Whole30 program, I’m free to add some bacon-y goodness to our dinner. And it just so happens that I found a recipe on Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food website for sautéed spinach and bacon that looked easy and tasty (my two prerequisites for any weekday dish). After surveying the contents of my crisper, I decided to modify the recipe a little by adding some sliced shallots and cremini mushrooms. I also opted to bake my bacon instead of frying it in the pan because I’m less likely to burn the bacon when I bake it. Bonus: I can also collect the delectable bacon grease in the tray!
Time to make Sautéed Spinach with Bacon, Shallots, and Mushrooms!
- 3 slices of uncured bacon, baked and crumbled (If you’re doing a Whole30, make sure the bacon is sugar-free.)
- Bacon grease (reserved from baking the bacon slices)
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces of cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound organic baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons Banyuls vinegar (or aged balsamic, sherry, etc.)
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I gathered up my ingredients…
…and heated the bacon grease in my trusty cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the pan was hot, I sautéed the sliced shallots with some salt and pepper…
…until they were translucent and softened.
Next, I added the mushrooms and cooked ‘em until they developed some brown bits and the liquid evaporated.
I tossed in the spinach in batches…
…adding more as it wilted. I seasoned the dish with the vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Then, I plated the dish and sprinkled the bacon bits on top.
This dish totally hit the spot with a 1-2 punch of bacon grease and crispy bacon bits! Oh bacon, how I’ve missed you!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013) and Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017)!
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Sautéed Spinach with Bacon, Shallots, and Mushrooms
- 3 bacon slices baked and crumbled
- Bacon grease reserved from baking the bacon slices
- 2 large shallots thinly sliced
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons Banyuls vinegar or aged balsamic vinegar
- Bake off your bacon in the oven and reserve the bacon grease for this recipe.
- Heat the bacon grease in your cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is. hot, sauté the sliced. shallots with some salt and pepper until they are translucent and softened.
- Add the mushrooms into the pan and cook until they've developed some brown bits and the liquid has evaporated.
- Toss in the spinach in batches. Adding more spinach as the previous batch wilts. Once all the spinach has been added, season the dish with vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Once the spinach is cooked, put it on a plate and sprinkle the bacon bits on top. Enjoy!