I went to the farmers’market this morning and bought some organic shiitake mushrooms from my favorite mushroom vendor, Far West Fungi. The mushrooms are always super high quality, mostly organic, and keep for 1-2 weeks if I keep them in a paper bag in my fridge (on the shelf, not the crisper). After rummaging through my fridge for old produce (I got a ton of new produce this morning at the market), and I decided to make a shiitake and broccoli slaw stir-fry.
Time to make Stir-fried Shiitake and Broccoli Slaw!
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 anchovy fillets, packed in olive oil
- ¾ pound shiitake mushrooms, quartered and stemmed
- Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package broccoli slaw
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- All of my recommended kitchen tools are listed here.
I prepped the chopped shallots…
…and grabbed the broccoli slaw from the fridge.
I heated the ghee in my large cast iron skillet over medium high. Once the ghee melted, I added the shallots and sautéed until translucent. Then, I added the garlic cloves and anchovies and mixed that around for ~30 seconds.
I added the mushrooms to the skillet and seasoned everything with some salt and pepper.
After the liquid in the pan had evaporated and the mushrooms were browned in spots…
…I added the broccoli slaw and some fish sauce and apple cider vinegar to taste (around 1 tablespoon each).
Easy and yummy!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Head on over to my Recipe Index. You’ll also find exclusive recipes on my iPhone and iPad app, and in my cookbooks, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2013), Ready or Not! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2017), and Nom Nom Paleo: Let’s Go! (Andrews McMeel Publishing 2021).
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Stir-Fried Shiitake and Broccoli Slaw
- Heat the ghee in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Once the ghee is melted, add the shallots and sauté until translucent. Then, add the garlic and anchovy and mix everything for ~30 seconds.
- Add the mushroom to the skillet and season everything with salt and pepper.
- After the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are browned in spots add the broccoli slaw, fish sauce, and apple cider vinegar.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.