Nom Nom Paleo

Paleo Eats: 3/15/11

Pin It

Hello everyone out there! Wanna know what I ate on my second to last night of work?

I was kind of hungry when the clock struck midnight, so I ate a hard-boiled egg and continued working. A couple hours later, I ate a box of leftover kebabs and vegetables from New Kapadokia.

It was dry and overcooked when I ate it the night before so I knew it wasn’t gonna be any tastier the second go around. Waste not, want not (or something like that).

At the end of my shift, I ate some leftover chicken cacciatore, sautéed spinach, and roasted carrots and parnips.

When I got home, I marinated some chicken drumsticks with tandoori seasoning and coconut milk.

When I have big meaty drumsticks, I like to cut slits in the thick fleshy parts so the marinade will penetrate better and they’ll cook faster. I stuck the chicken in the fridge to marinate until dinnertime.

Then, I ran over to Big-O’s school to help out with “library day” and when I came home again I went straight to bed. 

At 5:00 p.m., I woke up and started making dinner. I placed a tray of tandoori chicken in the oven and started making my veggie sides.

I sautéed some chard with shallots in ghee…

…nuked some winter squash puree

…and broiled prosciutto-wrapped asparagus.

(Psst! I’m trying to win a month of free asparagus — please “like” my recipe on the Mountain View Farmers’ Market facebook page. Purty please and thank you!)

I tossed the chard with some Banyuls vinegar and drizzled some Balsamic vinegar on the asparagus spears. When you’re short on time, a splash of acid (via lemons or vinegar) really brightens up your sides.

When all the veggies were done, so was the chicken:

Here’s  my dinner plate:

I prefer my tandoori chicken marinated in full fat yogurt, but coconut milk makes for some finger-lickin’ good eats as well.

After dinner, I practiced push jerks and did a quick WOD. Then, I ate a post work out snack of baked sweet potato and roasted turkey deli meat, packed my stuff, and went to work for the last time this week. TGIT! Remember? Tuesdays are my Fridays.

Paleo Eats: 2/25/11

Pin It

Without further ado, here are my eats on my second night at work…

My first meal in the middle of the night was a box of leftover grass fed T-bone steak, winter squash puree, sauteed mushrooms, and roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon.

A few hours later, I snacked on a couple leftover mini frittata muffins

…and a handful of macadamia nuts and coconut flakes.

For my “dinner” I ate a box of Chili Con Carne seasoned grass fed ground beef, cauliflower fried rice, and roasted asparagus.

After work, I marinated some tandoori chicken thighs and then drove to my class at CrossFit Palo Alto. It’s tough doing a WOD on my day off but it’s damn near impossible after a night shift. I was wiped out after my class so I went to bed right away.

At 5:00 p.m., I was kinda groggy but I started preparing dinner. I baked the tandoori chicken thighs…

sautéed spinach with shallots and bacon

…blitzed some garlic cauliflower mashed potatoes

…and pureed a large vat of curried cream of broccoli soup. I started blending this soup with my old immersion stick blender but it literally sparked in my hand and blew a fuse. Yikes. Out came my trusty Vitamix and I pureed my veggie soup in a few seconds.

My Vitamix is super powerful but it’s a pain in the ass blending up hot soup without making a big mess. I already ordered my replacement immersion blender on Amazon for only $26.95…

Here’s me digging in:

You’d think I’d be full after all this food, but I still managed to cram down half a package of coconut flakes while I surfed the web. Them flakes are dangerous.

After stuffing myself silly with coco goodness, I packed my stuff for work and set off once again to bring home the bacon.

Paleo Eats: 2/11/11

Pin It

On my second night at work, I started chowing down at the stroke of midnight ‘cause I was hungry, damn it.

My first snack of the night was baby carrots with aubergine dip and a hard-boiled egg.

A few hours later, I ate my “lunch” which was a box of sous vide chicken breast, green beans, and roasted bell peppers.

I followed it up with a small container of coconut milk and strawberries.

The last thing I ate at work was a box of leftover lamb chops, green beans, sauteed mushrooms, and roasted carrots and butternut squash.

When I came home, I quickly marinated some tandoori chicken thighs and stashed them in the fridge before dashing off to my class at CrossFit Palo Alto.

This was the first time I’d gone to an exercise class after working a 10-hour night shift and I was a little nervous I’d drop a barbell on my head. To put your minds at ease, I came home unscathed. I was tired and sore but no contusions.

As soon as I returned home, I went straight to bed because it was WAY past my bedtime. I woke up at 5:00 p.m. and quickly dashed to Zombie Runner to pick up a zombie plushie for Big-O’s friend’s birthday and a couple pairs of Vibram FiveFingers Bikila LS shoes for myself. I love my Vibrams!

I returned home 40 minutes later and popped my tray of tandoori chicken legs in the oven and started making my side dishes.

First, I heated up two frozen packets of Cascadian Farm winter squash puree in my SousVide Supreme (set at 135 F) for about 30 minutes and mixed it with some butter, salt, and pepper. Then, I sautéed some spinach with bacon grease, shallots, and a dash of Banyuls vinegar.

I took the chicken legs out of the oven…

…and cranked up the heat to broil and popped in a tray of asparagus tossed with macadamia nut oil, salt, and pepper. About eight minutes later, the asparagus was finished and I drizzled on some balsamic vinegar.

Here’s my dinner plate:

Good eats in under an hour.

Super Easy Tandoori Chicken

Pin It


Man, oh man, this chicken dish is easy and delicious! Provided you have some Penzeys Tandoori seasoning on hand…

You do need to plan ahead a little bit because the chicken has to marinate for at least 4 hours, but the actual hands-on time is pretty minimal. In fact, this dish can be thrown together in about 10 minutes before you head off to work and it will be ready to bake when you get home. (Or, if you’re a night shift worker like me, you can throw it together in the morning before going to bed and it will be ready to go when you wake up.) I followed the tandoori chicken recipe on Penzeys Spices website with a few modifications and my results were quite remarkable.

Here’s what to assemble:

  • 4 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt (or substitute full fat coconut milk)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon Penzeys tandoori seasoning
  • Juice from ½ a lemon
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil or fat of choice

Here’s what to do:

Grab your thighs and trim off any excess blobs of fat. Season the chicken parts evenly with kosher salt and stick ‘em in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt and the tandoori seasoning.


Pour in the lemon juice and mix well to combine.


Sometimes little hands are better at this step.


Once the marinade is ready…


…spoon it over the salted chicken…


…and work it into the poultry with your hands. 

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge for 4 to 8 hours to marinate.


When you’re ready to bake the chicken, preheat the oven to 375°F on convection roast setting (or 400°F in a non-convection oven).

Place a wire rack on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Grease the rack with a paper towel dipped in melted coconut oil.

Arrange the chicken on the rack skin-side down…


….and pop the tray in the oven for about 40 minutes…


…flipping the pieces skin-side up at the halfway mark.

The chicken’s done when there’s yummy charred bits all over and the juices run clear when stabbed with a skewer.


This dish was super-duper easy, moist, and delicious to boot. Get your keisters to a Penzeys ASAP!