Nom Nom Paleo

Day 21 of Whole30 Eats

Pin It

As I’ve griped before, my penultimate night of work is my least favorite. When it’s night six of seven, I’m one grumpy mofo and my patience tank is running on fumes. So without further ado, here’s what I noshed on after midnight:

At the very beginning of my shift, I snarfed down some macadmia nuts and sauerkraut so I wasn’t hungry until 3:30 a.m. For “lunch,” I ate some leftover roasted chicken thighs and nuked frozen veggies.

Snack time came at 5:00 a.m. when I ate some coconut milk and blueberries and some coconut flakes.

At 7:00 a.m., I ate my “dinner” which was leftover sous vide Wild King Salmon, sautéed greens, and roasted root vegetables.

As soon as I got home, I quickly threw together a baking dish of braised cabbage and popped it in the oven.

Then, I took my kindergartener to school and I hung out as the weekly library helper. On the weeks I help out after I return from work, I’m a veritable zombie, lumbering around sluggishly in my Vibrams and blinking slowly when the kids ask me for help.

When I finally returned home, I took the cabbage out of the oven…

…and I passed out in my bed. (In case you’re wondering, my mom was home making sure my little kiddo didn’t get in trouble and our house didn’t burn down.)

I awoke at 5:30 p.m., and immediately started working on dinner. I didn’t have too much to do because my braised cabbage and sous vide grass fed top sirloin steak were already cooked and only needed to be reheated and seared off, respectively.

I wanted to make some other accompaniments so I made cream of tomato soup and sautéed some shiitake mushrooms in coconut oil with a splash of chicken broth and coconut aminos (and S & P).

Then, I removed my steak from the SousVide Supreme, which had been cooking at 130 F for 24 hours…


…took the meat out of the bag and dried it..


…and seared it in some lard for 2 minutes on each side.

I sliced the slab ‘o meat up…

…and dinner (breakfast for me!) was served.

Since my SousVide Supreme was already filled, I bumped up the temperature to 141 F and popped in two seasoned boneless and skinless chicken breasts for 2 hours. (For those of you keeping score, ever since I filled the machine yesterday morning I’ve sous vided 5 fillets of Wild King salmon, a 2-pound grass fed top sirloin steak, and 2 chicken breasts. I love it, I love it, I love it!)

Then, I took off for my last night of work this week. Finally.