Nom Nom Paleo

Paleo Eats: 4/18/11

Pin It

Today was a busy day of cooking ‘cause my vacation is careening to an end and I have lots of food to prepare for my impending workweek. How the hell did three weeks fly by so fast?

For breakfast, I nuked some leftover mini frittata muffins along with sautéed broccoli and shiitake mushrooms.

As a mid-morning snack, I ate some sad-looking baby carrots and Aubergine dip

…and a crapload of undocumented macadamia nuts and coconut flakes. No pic means no one really knows how much I stuffed in my face.

At lunchtime, I reheated some emergency protein, braised red cabbage, and a bowl of H’s wonderful carrot soup.

After lunch, I dropped six Fox Point seasoned chicken breasts into the SousVide Supreme to cook for a couple hours. When they were finished cooking…

…I dunked them in an ice bath for an hour and then stored them in the fridge and freezer.

Then, I stewed a pot of Rogan Josh in the oven. This time, I simplified the recipe even more by forgoing the initial browning of the lamb cubes. I first read about braising meat without browning in this New York Times article. If you can get the same flavorful results without the hassle of sputtering grease, why wouldn’t you do it?

After the stew was finished…

…I stuck it in the fridge for consumption later this week.

At dinnertime, I whipped up a batch of semi-homemade Paleo spaghetti and meatballs

…with broiled zucchini as the pasta double.

The cheater Paleo-friendly spaghetti sauce I used this time was Mario Batali’s marinara sauce.

Here’s my dinner plate:

I just received Sarah Fragoso’s Everyday Paleo in the mail and I want to finish this goddamn post so I can read it. I’ll post an in-depth review in a few days but so far, it looks super awesome – great recipes, pretty pictures, awesome exercise section, and tons of REAL advice from a phenomenal supermom. Sarah Fragoso is one badass mother who totally inspires me to be a better mom, cook, and CrossFitter.

Paleo Eats: 4/5/11

Pin It

It was a busy day but I’m happy to report I ate pretty clean. Well, except for my daily overeating of coconut products and macadamia nuts – but I digress.

For breakfast, I reheated the leftovers of yesterday’s emergency protein. I ate it so quickly that I forgot to take a snapshot. Besides, it didn’t look as appetizing after chilling in the fridge overnight so here’s a picture of when it was fresh yesterday:

After breakfast I took the kids to school and then I drove to my class at CrossFit Palo Alto. My post workout meal consisted of a baked yam and some sliced turkey deli meat. Again, I snarfed it down before I was able to immortalize it with my camera. Geez, what kind of food blogger am I? A lazy one…

Before heading to the mall to buy the kids some shoes, I seasoned a couple of chicken breasts with Fox Point seasoning, vacuum sealed them with a pat of butter…

…and dunked the packet into the SousVide Supreme (140 F).

When we returned home a couple hours later, I gobbled up a sous vided chicken breast along with a salad made with leftover roasted vegetables, greens, and avocados.

While Little-O took a nap, I made some garlic cauliflower mashed potatoes. Inspired by The Food Lovers’ Primal-Palate, I decided to sauté some shallots in butter…

…and add them to the mash.

I didn’t put in any herbs because any hint of green will make this side dish a no-fly zone for Big-O. My Technicolor purees have not gone over well with him.

After I dropped Big-O at his T-ball practice, I came home and reheated the slow cooker beef shank and cabbage stew I made yesterday.

I really had to punch up the seasoning with some Fines Herbes seasoning, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper. I know I said that I’d post a recipe but I still need to tweak it a bit.

I went to the microwave to reheat the cauliflower puree…

…but it slipped out of my hands and crashed to the floor. With the lid OFF. It was a bad scene in the kitchen. There was some screaming involved. I was one mad mother. Luckily, half of the puree was still in the container (and the other half covered me, the floor, and the cabinets) so I was able to nuke it for dinner. I also broiled a bunch of asparagus tossed in melted ghee and sautéed some mushrooms in butter and Fox Point seasoning.

Here’s my dinner plate:

The beef shank stew was alright but I was more successful the first time I made it. They’re not always winners, people. 

After dinner, I collected the leftover vegetables and tucked them into my “emergency vegetable” container that I have in the fridge. I see a frittata on the horizon…

Good night everybody!

Day 21 of Whole30 Eats

Pin It

As I’ve griped before, my penultimate night of work is my least favorite. When it’s night six of seven, I’m one grumpy mofo and my patience tank is running on fumes. So without further ado, here’s what I noshed on after midnight:

At the very beginning of my shift, I snarfed down some macadmia nuts and sauerkraut so I wasn’t hungry until 3:30 a.m. For “lunch,” I ate some leftover roasted chicken thighs and nuked frozen veggies.

Snack time came at 5:00 a.m. when I ate some coconut milk and blueberries and some coconut flakes.

At 7:00 a.m., I ate my “dinner” which was leftover sous vide Wild King Salmon, sautéed greens, and roasted root vegetables.

As soon as I got home, I quickly threw together a baking dish of braised cabbage and popped it in the oven.

Then, I took my kindergartener to school and I hung out as the weekly library helper. On the weeks I help out after I return from work, I’m a veritable zombie, lumbering around sluggishly in my Vibrams and blinking slowly when the kids ask me for help.

When I finally returned home, I took the cabbage out of the oven…

…and I passed out in my bed. (In case you’re wondering, my mom was home making sure my little kiddo didn’t get in trouble and our house didn’t burn down.)

I awoke at 5:30 p.m., and immediately started working on dinner. I didn’t have too much to do because my braised cabbage and sous vide grass fed top sirloin steak were already cooked and only needed to be reheated and seared off, respectively.

I wanted to make some other accompaniments so I made cream of tomato soup and sautéed some shiitake mushrooms in coconut oil with a splash of chicken broth and coconut aminos (and S & P).

Then, I removed my steak from the SousVide Supreme, which had been cooking at 130 F for 24 hours…


…took the meat out of the bag and dried it..


…and seared it in some lard for 2 minutes on each side.

I sliced the slab ‘o meat up…

…and dinner (breakfast for me!) was served.

Since my SousVide Supreme was already filled, I bumped up the temperature to 141 F and popped in two seasoned boneless and skinless chicken breasts for 2 hours. (For those of you keeping score, ever since I filled the machine yesterday morning I’ve sous vided 5 fillets of Wild King salmon, a 2-pound grass fed top sirloin steak, and 2 chicken breasts. I love it, I love it, I love it!)

Then, I took off for my last night of work this week. Finally.