Nom Nom Paleo

Paleo Eats: 4/30/11

Pin It

Today, I ate most of my meals in restaurants. It’s nice to take a break from kitchen duty, but I’m itching to try out some new recipes on my to-do list. Oh, well — they’ll just have to wait!

For breakfast, I made myself a sardine salad (a can o’ sardines mixed with Paleo mayonnaise, Fines Herbes seasoning, salt, pepper, and fresh chives) and downed it with some crudités.

I wanted to load up on omega-3s in anticipation of our grain-fed meat-apalooza at Pampas later in the evening.

After breakfast, I picked up my Full Belly Farm CSA box

…which had a nice variety of veggies this week.

At brunch, we stopped by Joanie’s Café and waited 45 loooong minutes for…an altogether mediocre meal. Hubs and I shared two eggs over medium and seared sausages…

…and a three-egg omelet with bacon, sausage, and avocados.

Our boys, on the other hand, gorged on simple carbs and sugar. Yes — that’s right: I’m ashamed to admit that we let our kids order pancakes and waffles.

Ever since Everyday Paleo arrived in the mail, I’ve done a decent job of keeping the kiddies on the Paleo straight-and-narrow. All week, they ate the Paleo meals that I made — albeit sometimes reluctantly. And at breakfast this morning, we stuffed them to the gills with scrambled eggs, bacon, and strawberries. So at brunch, I figured they’d be too full to eat much more, and allowed them to pick what they wanted from the menu.

Big mistake. All they wanted were carbs, carbs, and more carbs.

They were ECSTATIC upon arrival of the gluten and refined sugar…

…and kept eating and eating and eating and eating…

…until we dragged them out of the restaurant.

About an hour later, Lil-O threw a colossal, five-alarm temper tantrum. Then, in the car, he conked out as we drove to my parent’s house.

This was not normal. Lil-O may be a stubborn bugger, but he’s usually even-keeled and well-rested. Was today’s meltdown and sudden narcolepsy the result of a massive sugar crash? No doubt about it. Sometimes, even committed Paleo mommies need a reminder of the importance of sugar-avoidance.

In the afternoon, I snacked on a Tanka Bar, a few mac nuts, some coconut flakes, and a couple tablespoons of coconut butter.

For dinner, we marched into Pampas with the charter members of the Five Tribe and Coach Tim (plus everyone’s spouses) and polished off plate after plate of meat, meat, and more meat. Unlike our last meal here, I actually visited the salad bar and nibbled on a few bites of vegetables…

…along with the mountains of meat.

That’s it for my eats!

Paleo Eats: 2/5/11

Pin It

Today was muy busy and I’m really tired so this post will be a quick recap of my grub and meal preparation.

For breakfast, I ate some leftover rotisserie chicken with cauliflower fried “rice” and stir fried Napa cabbage and bacon.

In the morning, I picked up my CSA box

…and dropped by Whole Paycheck to buy some last minute items for our Super Bowl party tomorrow.

When I returned home, I roasted off some red bell peppers that I’ll serve as part of a roasted vegetable platter tomorrow.

We spent a fun, laughter-filled afternoon at Big-O’s best friend’s house where we were fed a yummy homemade brunch (frittata, salad, and seared sausages).

Next, we went to a cousin’s daughter’s birthday bash at Bay Aerials Gymnastics where our kids jumped, tumbled, and swung on things for over an hour. Fitbomb’s cousin even served the kiddies a Primal-friendly meal: cubed cheese, diced ham, fruit, and veggies.

They’re better cave parents than us!

Right after the party, hubby and I went to dinner at Pampas to celebrate the same cousin’s 40th birthday. The company was fun and the grub was mighty tasty. This plate was one of several I devoured.

After dinner, we came home and I removed the brisket from the SousVide Supreme (147 F for 48 hours) and dunked it in an ice bath.

I’m searing this hunk ‘o meat tomorrow for the party. I hope it doesn’t taste like leather!

I also chopped up three onions and tossed them with three slices worth of diced bacon, salt, and pepper in the bottom of a large Dutch oven.

Then, I lay the marinated Boston pork butt on top…

…covered it, and placed it in the oven set at 250 F. I’m going to let the pork roast overnight (~8 hours) and broil the roast in the morning to give it some yummy char. I gotta get some much needed rest because I got a shitload to prep for tomorrow’s party. Good night!