Nom Nom Paleo

Paleo Eats: 6/16/12

Pin It

Dealing drugs in the middle of the night makes me hungry. Good thing I’d brought along a bright and tasty tandoori chicken salad from Tava.

The spicy salad, followed by a few squares of dark chocolate, kept me full until morning.

After finishing my graveyard shift, I picked up the boys at the hotel and zoomed over to the Downtown Palo Alto Farmers’ Market. I’ve been coming to this market since I was a wee one during the Reagan era. Back then, buying fresh veggies directly from a farmer meant you were a bell bottom-sporting hippie like my parents. (They weren’t truly hippies. I don’t think you can be a hippie if you voted for the Gipper.)

Oh, how times have changed. Now, the market is filled with all sorts of foodies who are passionate about locally-sourced, farm-fresh veggies and meats. Although we arrived before 9 am, folks were already leaving the market with cloth bags bursting with colorful produce.

I visited my favorite vendors and grabbed some cruciferous veggies…

…yams, smoked lox, leafy greens, and ‘shrooms.

I was super excited to find fresh local mulberries grown by a neighborhood science teacher (and backyard farmer), Kevin Lynch.

If you’ve never tried mulberries, you’re missing out. They’re super sweet and juicy, but not at all seed-y like raspberries.

I also made sure to snag a huge bag of Bings from Jurevich Farms

…the best cherry stand around.

Lil-O doesn’t like cherries — shocking, I know — so I picked up a few baskets of strawberries for the little guy.

See? Nature’s candy makes everyone happy.

After I returned to the hotel and went to bed, the boys went to Big-O’s wushu graduation…

…where he traded out his green belt for purple.

Then, the boys hustled over to the East Bay to celebrate cousin AJ’s birthday…

…by gorging on platters of grilled meats. The kids got to spend some time chilling with their nonagenarian great-grandmother, too.

The Double-Os spent the night at their grandparents’ house, so that meant I got to catch some extra zzzs. Seven hours of uninterrupted slumber never felt better.

By the time I woke up, it was too late to make dinner. Or more accurately, I refused to cook. 

After driving around aimlessly in search of food, we stopped at Kabul, an Afghan restaurant we used to frequent in my pre-Paleo days. After studying the menu intently…

…I ordered kadu (sautéed pumpkin topped with meat sauce and yogurt)…

…sabzi (slow cooked spinach with herbs)…

…beef and chicken kabobs…

…and lamb chops.

Both platters of kabobs came with a whopping pile of seasoned rice and a large rectangle of gluten that we left untouched.

When I used to consume grains, an entree at Kabul would be enough for 2 or 3 meals ‘cause I’d fill up on the stuff.  Now? Not so much. In fact, I still had enough room to nibble on a piece of chocolate before I headed off to work again.

But who am I kidding? I always have room for chocolate.

Paleo Eats: 7/30/11

Pin It

I’m trying to keep my nose to the grind so my work week goes by faster…

My first meal at work was a few leftover prosciutto-wrapped frittata muffins

…followed by a couple tablespoons of coconut butter.

Before leaving the hospital, I ate some leftover sous vide flank steak, roasted bell peppers, and sliced tomatoes.

When I got home, I rounded up Big-O and my mom and we headed to the Downtown Palo Alto Farmers’ market. I stocked up on a large wild King salmon filet from F/V Anne B, bags of tasty greens from Heirloom Organics, fancy spices at Spice Hound, strawberries from Green Oaks Creek Farm, and assorted mushrooms from Far West Fungi.

Before going to bed, I filled and heated the SousVide Supreme to 125 F, seasoned and vacuum-sealed the fish (salt, pepper, Sunny Paris, butter, and sliced lemon), and placed the packets in a bowl of ice in the fridge.

When I woke up in the evening, I made sure dinner prep was quick and easy. My eyes were glued to the laptop since the CrossFit Games were on, so I physically couldn’t do anything complicated. Honestly.

I dunked the salmon into the SousVide Supreme…

…sautéed some spinach and sliced Bianco di Maggio onions in butter, roasted a tray of spiced shiitake and king oyster ‘shrooms

…and made a quick salsa with shallots, lime juice, cherry tomatoes, avocados, and extra virgin olive oil.

I didn’t even break out my kitchen torch to sear the fish because I would’ve set the house of fire — those fine pecs and abs on ESPN3 were very distracting.

Here’s my dinner plate:

After I told the kids to go the f**k to sleep for the fourth time (“You do NOT need to pee four times in 10 minutes!”), I practiced double-unders and packed my stuff for work.

Only four more nights of work!

Paleo Eats: 6/4/11

Pin It

I just have to get through five more nights of work before my three weeks of vacation starts! But before I get ahead of myself, here’s what I ate at work…

For my first meal at work, I chowed on some leftover slow cooker roast chicken, cauliflower fried rice, and roasted broccoli.

For snack, I ate some coconut flakes and macadamia nuts. Eating this tropical combination makes me yearn for our upcoming trip to Kauai!

The last thing I ate at work was an umami slider burger salad with lettuce, roasted bell peppers, cucumbers, and guacamole.

After work, I braved the rain (WTF!) and stopped by the Downtown Palo Alto Farmers’ Market to pick up some produce, fish, and spices. This market is only open from May until December so this was my first visit since it re-opened. There are lots of great vendors but the ones I patronized today were:

  • Far West Fungi:I bought some portobellos, creminis, and organic shiitakes. Love their ‘shrooms and they last over a week if you keep them in a paper bag on a shelf in your fridge (no crisper, no plastic!).
  • Green Oaks Creek Farm: I got a 1/2 flat of Seascape strawberries and two dozen eggs. Hands-down the best strawberries at the market.
  • FV Anne B: I love this stand! They sell wonderful fresh fish sustainably caught in Half Moon Bay. I bought some wild king salmon and a pound of wild prawns. 

  • Heirloom Organic Gardens:This stand has a huge variety of awesome greens and roots. I bought a mixed medly of carrots, some spigarello, and baby chard.
  • Spice Hound: I’ve been waiting for this farmers’ market to reopen just so I can restock their spices without schlepping my ass to San Francisco. Yes, Penzeys is awesome but they don’t carry Dukka or Tabil seasoning!

I ran out of moola and was getting sleepy so I went home to catch some zzzz’s. While I snoozed, Fitbomb and the double-O’s went to cheer on Maddie at the CrossFit NorCal regionals. Yes, I miss out on a lot of fun due to work.

At 5:00 p.m., I woke up and prepared some sous vide wild king salmon. I skinned, divided, and seasoned the fillets with some dukka, salt, and pepper…

…sealed each fillet with a pat of butter…

…and dunked them in the SousVide Supreme (set at 125 F) for 20 minutes.

While the salmon was cooking, I made a quick stir-fry with sliced shiitake, baby spinach, minced garlic, Red Boat fish sauce, coconut aminos, salt,and pepper.

Afterwards, I torched the salmon…

…and plated up dinner.

After dinner, I did the individual workout #3 from the CrossFit NorCal regionals. I totally scaled the weight (125 lb instead of 205 lb) and height of the box (20” instead of 24”) BUT it still took me almost 11 minutes. I don’t know how Jenny Labaw finished it in 4:45 RX’d. Holy moly.

On another note…look what finally came in the mail today! 

I wanted to read the magazine from cover to cover but I had to haul my butt to work instead. Harumph.