Sweet Potato and Cashew Dip (from Tess Masters’ The Perfect Blend)
Yield 2½ cups
- 1 large orange-flesh sweet potato (e.g., garnet or jewel)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup (150 g) diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (140 g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked and drained (see note above)
- 1 teaspoon mild yellow curry powder, plus more to taste
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Prick the sweet potato all over with a paring knife or fork and lightly brush with olive or avocado oil. Place it on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until soft.
- Allow the tater to cool, peel off the skin, and mash the flesh with a fork. Set aside 1 cup (250 g) of the mashed sweet potato.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Allow the alliums to cool slightly.
- Grab your high speed blender or food processor and pour the remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil with the ¼ cup lemon juice and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- Add the onion mixture, cup of mashed sweet potato, cup of soaked and drained cashews, spices (1 teaspoon curry powder, 1½ teaspoons ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ¾ teaspoon sweet paprika, and ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric), and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Blast on high for a minute until the resulting dip is smooth and creamy. If you don’t have a powerful blender, you may need to periodically stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the container.
Recipe by Nom Nom Paleo® at http://nomnompaleo.com/post/156278901808/sweet-potato-and-cashew-dip-from-tess-masters